Table of contents
- Why come to GECCO as a student?
- Student Travel Grants
- ACM-W Scholarships for Attendance at Research Conferences
- Student Workshop
- Student Housing
- Women@GECCO Workshop
GECCO offers a unique opportunity to increase your career profile by learning, competing, and publishing. Tutorials provided at no cost to conference attendees and competitions are unique to GECCO.
If you need help in finding your place at GECCO or on student related activities and opportunities, do not hesitate to contact Elizabeth Wanner (email@example.com), to support you on the way. Please specify [Student GECCO 2020] in the subject line.
- TBA: Student grants application starts
- TBA: Student grants application closes
- TBA: Awardees will be notified
First priority will be given to students with accepted full papers. Also workshop papers and poster can increase your chances; thus proceed with the registration only AFTER receiving the notification of acceptance for one or several of your submissions. Note that only a part of the expenses will be covered (the amount depends on several factors and will be known only at notification time). All full-time students (graduate or under-graduate) are welcome to apply
- The application for Student Travel Grants will open after the notification of acceptance have been sent out.
Acceptable reimbursable expenses are the traveling expenses, which include:
- Transportation: air travel, other transportation to and/or from the conference, such as taxi, train, bus, car rental;
- Lodging: hotel/hostel/guest house or student dorm;
Conference expenses which are NOT reimbursed by student travel awards include the conference registration fee.
As a condition of acceptance, travel award recipients will be required to submit (after the conference) a report of the expenses, with the original receipts included, to ACM. Detailed information will be sent by ACM to travel recipients after the notification. Please (1) save all your reimbursable receipts, and (2) note it can take 3-6 weeks for you to receive your check from ACM headquarters.
- Air travel receipts: The easiest way to supply original receipts is to provide the receipt for your airline travel. If you purchased your airline ticket over the Internet, you must submit the printout of YOUR EMAIL RECEIPT and YOUR ORIGINAL BOARDING PASS from the city where your travel begins.
- Types of receipts: Acceptable receipts, other than for airline travel, include food, lodging, and other transportation (taxi, bus). NO copies are accepted.
- Dates on receipts: Receipts, other than for your airline tickets, must have a date that coincides with travelling to or from the conference, or on conference days.
- Invalid receipts: Your conference registration fee is NOT reimbursable.
Please take the time to understand the following: The ACM will NOT, under ANY circumstances, release a cheque without proper original receipts. There are absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS to this ACM rule.
ACM-W provides support for women undergraduate and graduate students in Computer Science and related programs to attend research conferences. This exposure to the CS research world can encourage a student to continue on to the next level (Undergraduate to Graduate, Masters to Ph.D., Ph.D. to an industry or academic position). The student does not have to present a paper at the conference she attends.
The ACM-W scholarships are divided between scholarships of up to $600 for intra-continental conference travel, and scholarships of up to $1200 for intercontinental conference travel.
In order for an application to be considered for an award, each applicant must set up a free ACM web account in order to complete the application. During the application process, GECCO should be selected as conference choice. For further details on the scholarships, please refer to the ACM-W Scholarships for Attendance at Research Conferences page. Applications are submitted online at http://acm-w.acm.org/scholarA.cfm.
Students have the possibility to present their work on a dedicated Student Workshop. Visit the Student Workshop page for more information.
If you wish to cut down the lodging price by sharing a room with other students not of your group attending the conference (and split the room price accordingly), please contact the Student chair, who will do her best to put you in contact with other students willing to share. In that case, fill in the Student travel grant application form only after you have a good estimate of the lodging cost.
Prague university dorms can provide hostel-like accommodation. Only 16 places are available.
Registration form for this student dorms housing: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1P3xuklljDTOuoC5j31TbDi_631J0FbYVcIN40pRKe-I/
Deadline for the registration: 2019-05-31
Place: Prague dorms of CVUT University in Dejvice — 7 metro stations from the conference venue and walking distance from Summer school, near "Dejvicka" metro station; address: Zikova 19, Praha 6, Czech Republic
Price: CZK 350,- per person and night (approx. 14 EUR) in a double room shared with another GECCO student, or CZK 700,- for the whole room (approx. 28 EUR, if available and if only few people will ask for the housing).
- 2 double rooms connected with a simple kitchen and bathroom
- information in Czech and few photos: https://www.studenthostel.cz/prazdninove-hostely/hostel-dejvicka
- 25% discount for the bed in the shared double-room (CZK 250,- per night instead of CZK 350,-) should be available if student pass (ISIC or similar) presented at check-in
- information about Internet/WiFi on the rooms or in the lobby will be put here soon
- payment at arrival, cash in CZK, or MasterCard/VISA debit/credit cards accepted
- cancellation after 2019-05-31 only in serious cases!
Contact for further information: Lukas Bajer, bajeluk at gmail.com
The Women@GECCO Workshop is a venue where students and junior researchers from different under-represented cohorts in Evolutionary Computation (EC) interact in an informal setting with more established women researchers on various issues related to fostering and balancing one’s professional and social life, as well as on inserting oneself in the EC community.
The workshop focus is “GECCO women welcome EC newcomers”. Students of any gender are therefore encouraged to attend the Women@GECCO Workshop. See here for more information on the program and keynote speakers.
Student Affairs Chairs:
Elizabeth Wanner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lukas Bajer (email@example.com)